Before starting your search for a used car, it is important that you have a plan. We have put together a few guidelines below to help make your used vehicle purchase go as smoothly as possible.
Used Car Buying Tips
- Know your budget. Know how much you can afford per month and in total. Try to get a pre-approval before shopping if possible.
- Do not be in too big of a hurry to buy. Shop around and make sure you are getting the best vehicle at a fair price.
- Always test drive the vehicle before you start negotiating. During the test drive, be sure to test acceleration, handling, air conditioning, and listen for noises. Sometimes the test drive alone will tell you if a car is bad news.
- Negotiate price. Use sites such as nadaguides.com to make sure the pricing is fair.
- Ask for a copy of the vehicle history report and have the vehicle inspected prior to purchase.
Car Lot Checklist
- Clean Dealership/Lot
- Good Online Reviews
- Clean Newer Vehicles
- Good Customer Service
- Fair Pricing
Other restrictions may apply. Rates are subject to change at any time and may be higher than quoted. Loan approval subject to additional underwriting guidelines. Currently, loans are only available in Texas.